Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Through the Woods We Go - Part I

[Daring Deeds & Dubious Decisions main page]

I got my first game of Sellswords & Spellsingers under way at lunch today...









... and that's how far I got today.

In terms of rules, here's what the action sequence looks like:

Pick a character. Choose to attempt one, two, or three actions. For each action, roll a d20. On an 8+  (there are potentially a few modifiers) that character can attempt an action (decided in the moment, not pre-declared). On 7 or less, the character does not get to take an action - instead draw a card from the "Event Deck."*

The Event Deck is what determines enemy actions (enemies activate by proximity, ambushes occur, traps are sprung, the weather changes etc). In other words, the enemies only act in response to player character failures (low rolls).

On attempting an action, another d20 is rolled modified by appropriate traits. Monsters have a target number reflecting their difficulty. When fighting you have to roll higher than that number to hit them, while if you roll too low they hit you.

So far the game is pretty smooth. It also seems to have great potential for playing socially (co-op).

I'm hoping to get another bit of time with the game tomorrow, but after that I'll be out for some days.

*In my case, I made a random table for the event deck since I couldn't be bothered to cut out actual cards.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the batrep. There is a game reason for the cards instead of a random table. Some cards will be removed from the deck as play progresses, making the activation of foes more likely as play goes on. (of course you may eliminate events from a random table after they occur but this will cause you to reroll).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice report, my son and I liked your funny comments.
    We anticipate eagerly the continuation.

    ReplyDelete